Wednesday, December 05, 2012


To my mind there is some MP
  MOTE board influence in this board. 

6' 1/2" x 20 1/2" x 3 5/16"
Nose 14 1/2"
Tail 13 5/8"
Pod. Diamond @ 3 1/2" on flats.
Wide point fwd.
Cambered nose to flat through middle
to v through tail.
Rails 50/50 through nose.
80/20 through middle.
Tapering  80/20 through tail.

Flat North Coast speed shape foil.

Upright  9 1/2" fin.
Base 5 1/4"
6" from pod. 


Thursday, November 08, 2012


Shaped by John Monie.
Glassed by Dave Wilson.

This board is still owned by its original owner.
It was built with the Wayne Lynch board below in mind.

It measures in at.
8' 5 1/2" x 22 3/4" x 3"
Nose 17 7/8"
Tail 13"

Production No 9415.

Fully cambered bottom.
Pinched rails.

Stage 3 fin.
Height 11 3/4"
Base 9 1/4"
9 3/4" from pod. 

Extra lam on deck for knee paddling.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012


The owner of this board is the son
of the original owner.
He almost lost it to some one else
but managed to get it back. 

It measures in at.
9'6" x 21 3/4" x 3 1/2"
Nose 16"
Tail 15 3/4"
Pod 5 1/2"
Wide point 5 1/2" behind mid point.

Original pinlines and pigment work.

All the rocker is in the bottom.
The deck is almost flat.

Original 66/67 rego sticker.
Base 10"
Height 8 1/4"
1 3/4" from pod.

All finished and ready to hang.
Finally retired after almost 50 years.

Friday, August 24, 2012


Shaped by
Russell Head.

Single flyer pintail.
Not a lot wrong with this board.
There were a few stressies on the bottom.
A few dings around the rails.
The fin needed re setting.
Gloss and polish.

It measures in at ^

Friday, July 27, 2012


I picked up this old beauty about
6 months ago with no intention of restoring it.
The more I looked at it,
the more I thought it may be worth doing.
It has a nice rocker and outline.
It has been said that the best of these
old logs have been surfed into oblivion.
Maybe this one, is one that has survived.

No fin.
Many dings.
Delams on deck from knee paddling.
And some genius has tried to reshape the nose.
It could be 6" shorter than original.
New section of stringer scarped into place.

Foam fitted, bonded
and shaped.

The board on the left is also a Bennett
from the same era.
I tried offering up the curves I have to it
and the one I eventually used
matches the the board pretty closely.

A new fin had to be made.

Gloss coats.

This board is a rider.
It is going to get dinged and scratched.
I'll do the pigment work, if and when it is retired.

Saturday, May 05, 2012


8'9" x 21 1/2" x  3"
Nose 15 3/8"
Tail 15 1/4"
Pod 6"

As you can see from the image
this board was in pretty bad shape.
Lots of dings and discolouration.
The large rail ding to the right of the fin
was filled with car bog.
Water damage is clearly visable around the fin area.
The stringer under the fin was rotten and had to be replaced.

This is the 4th KD I have restored.
It is the 1st with a production number.

It is also the 1st with a regular D fin.
The other 3 had reverse D fins.
So I would place this board toward the end 
of the labels time based on the fin shape.
1962 to 1964.

Having said that.
The cut lap line on the bottom
is more representative of the early 60's.


Monday, April 23, 2012


Production No 6215
circa 1965

9'6 3/8" x 22 3/8" x 2 7/8"
Nose 17 1/4"
Tail 16 3/8"
Pod 7"

This board appears to have not seen to much action.
It only has a few dings, mainly at the nose.
It has only a few dents on the deck.
The fin has been torn out a some stage and replaced.

There is a fair bit of camber in the bottom.
With a nice rocker and pinched out rails.
Double 10oz volan top & bottom.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012


This is the board its owner
learnt to surf on.

It had seen better days.
A major delam on the tail.
3 inches of the fin had been
cut off and reshaped.
Both the tip of the nose and tail were missing.
And numerous dings, some filled with car bog.

6' 8"x 20"x 3 5/8"
Nose 14 1/4"
Tail 13 1/4"
Fin 9 1/4"
Base 4 3/4"
9 1/4" from pod.

Pretty ugly.
Have a look here to see some
images or the repairs.

S deck and side slipper fin.

Bottom camber all the way through.

Rebuilt fin.
If you look closely
you can see the join where the new
section was added.